Huskies compete well at ITA Region Tournament
ALLENDALE, Mich. – Michigan Tech women's tennis finished competition at the ITA Midwest Region Tournament, hosted by Grand Valley State Monday. The Huskies went 6-1 in opening round singles matches but did not send a player to the round of 16.
"It was a solid weekend," said head coach Kristin Yep. "Weather was a challenge, but our team adjusted nicely. Even with some last-minute changes to our entries, I think our team did really well to compete in both singles and doubles. It helps us look forward in building strong doubles teams for the spring season."
WOMEN'S A SINGLES BRACKET
- Senior Dominika Bobik (Wroclaw, Poland) defeated Ana Penteado (Ashland) 6-4, 6-1 in round one, then lost to No. 5 seed Marta Komar (Wayne State) 6-4, 7-6(7) in the round of 32.
- Graduate student Grace Eland (Penrith, England) split sets in her Husky debut before falling 5-4, 6-4, 11-9 to Zuzanna Krygier (Findlay).
- No. 10 seed Nastasia Jedrychowski (Drury) defeated No. 3 seed Lea Cakarevic (Indianapolis) 6-2, 2-6, 6-3 in the championship match.
WOMEN'S B SINGLES BRACKET
- Senior Neva Manas (Carmel, Indiana) downed Kumiko Yamaguchi (Davenport) 6-2, 6-2 to kick off the tournament, but came up short against Sophia Hanover (Grand Valley State) 7-5, 6-3 in the round of 32.
- Junior Marina Fernandez (Reus, Spain) defeated Isabella Sanchez (Walsh) 7-6(4), 6-1 but fell in three sets to Canela Luna (Hillsdale) in the following round 5-7, 6-4, 6-3.
- Freshman Ewa Podulka (Trzebnica, Poland) debuted with a win over Valentina Moreno (Davenport) 6-3, 6-2 before bowing out to Yasmina Mayer (Walsh) 6-2, 6-3.
- Freshman Emily Cojocaru (Richmond Hill, Ontario) won 7-6(3), 6-1 against Maria Gouveia (Maryville) before falling in the next round to Dea Gorgidze (Wayne State) 6-1, 6-3.
WOMEN'S A DOUBLES BRACKET
- Bobik and Eland moved into round two after opponents Sienna Lopez and Hayley Tsuen (Purdue Northwest) withdrew. The duo fell to No. 4 seeds Kseniia Ermina and Ewa Samberger (Drury) 8-5.
WOMEN'S B DOUBLES BRACKET
- Cojocaru and Heinz upended No. 4 seeds Canela Luna and Megan Hackman (Hillsdale) 8-5 in their opener, but lost to Carmen Llopis and Sina Skjelstad (Illinois-Springfield) 8-6.
- Podulka and Manas teamed up to defeat Sabrina Laynes and Suki Mandair (Wayne State) 8-6. They lost to Elizabeth McGivern and Ellie Chawner (Hillsdale) 8-5 in round two.
Michigan Tech women's tennis plays again this fall at the Ashland Doubles Invitational on Friday, September 30 in Ohio.