Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Student-Athlete Wellness services include:

  • Individual Counseling
  • Case Management
  • Referrals for Medication Management
  • Dietician Appointments*
    • Limited Availability; Must meet with Individual Counselor or Director of Student-Athlete Wellness prior to scheduling
  • Wellness Series
  • Huskies Connected
  • Mental Health Literacy and Bystander Education Presentations
    • QPR Training (Question, Persuade, Refer)
    • Mental Health First Aid
  • Performance consultations (athletic, academic, etc.)
  • Connection to Area and Campus Resources
  • Crisis Intervention


For more information or to set up an appointment for any of the services listed above, e-mail Sarah Dowd at or contact the Center for Student Mental Health and Well-being (906-487-2538) and ask to make an appointment.

Fall 2022 Event Calendar





Who Should Attend?

TBA ----- ----- ----- Open to all athletes
TBA ----- ----- ----- Open to all athletes


Event Descriptions

Huskies Connected
These events are geared to increase student-athlete interaction across teams through a variety of activities, such as an organized Field Day, a movie night, yard games, a bonfire, etc. 

Wellness Series
These events are intended to provide education on different topics meant to increase well-being, especially outside of sports.  Areas of discussion have included nutrition, physical fitness outside of sport, financial literacy, planning and time management, goal setting, and engaging with the community.  

Frequently Asked Questions

What Is Counseling & How Can It Help Me?
Students attend counseling for a variety of reasons.  Counselors are trained to help you identify and change ways of thinking and/or behaving that might contribute to your distress or impair your functioning.  Your counselor will help you develop problem-solving, decision making and coping skills to help you adapt to or resolve life’s challenges. Counseling is also a place for you to discuss your personal concerns in a confidential and nonjudgmental setting.   

Is Counseling Confidential?
Without a signed release of information by you the student-athlete, information shared in counseling is confidential. Confidentiality means that your contact with this office does not go on your academic record and that clinical materials will not be disclosed to any other office or individual unless you have signed a written release for this to occur.  Professional Counselors are exempt from Title IX and they do not report crimes that include sexual violence (including rape, sexual assault, and sexual harassment) to university officials. Some exceptions of confidentiality do exist, and include potential harm to yourself or others, possible child or elder abuse, or a court order.

Why do student-athletes seek counseling?
Common Reasons Student-Athletes Seek Counseling:
  • Adjustment to college/sport
  • Stress
  • Anxiety
  • Depression
  • Identity Development
  • Substance Misuse or Addiction
  • Self-Esteem
  • Eating Disorders & Body Image
  • Grief & Loss
  • Trauma
  • Sexuality
  • Academic Concerns
  • Unhealthy Relationships
  • Performance Concerns
  • Injury Recovery

What is the cost for services?
All services provided through the Center for Student Mental Health and Well-being and Student-Athlete Wellness are free of cost and do not bill your insurance.  A cost would only be incurred for additional services provided outside of the university setting (i.e. prescriptions, health screenings, follow up with medical professional).

Concerned About Someone?

Whether you are a faculty or staff member, parent, friend or roommate you have the ability to report your concern of a Michigan Tech student to the Dean of Students. To ensure that the needs of the student are met and the appropriate office or offices are involved, the Dean of Students Office has created a tool to report your concern based on the type of concern you may have. Please utilize the Report a Concern tool here.

If you have concerns about the physical well-being of a student contact Public Safety who will conduct a health and well-being check. This check is conducted to ensure that the student is safe and provided the resources necessary to make sure that safety is continued. If it is an emergency involving physical harm or a threat to life, call Public Safety or dial 911 (if you are out of the area dial 866-411-0018 to reach Negaunee Central Dispatch). In cases of psychological emergencies, contact the Center for Student Mental Health and Well-being during business hours or  after hours call MySSP (1-866-743-7732) to be immediately connected with a counselor..


Emergency Services: 911 

In any emergency involving physical harm or a threat to life, dial 911, go to your local emergency room, or contact Public Safety at 906-487-2216.  If you are in a residence building on campus you can contact your RA or REC for assistance.

In cases of after-hours mental health crises/emergencies, please contact MySSP at 1-866-743-7732 to be immediately connected with a counselor.  During business hours you may still use MySSP or you may visit the Center for Student Mental-Health and Well-being, located on the 3rd floor of the Administration building.

MySSP: 1-877-376-7896

Public Safety: 906-487-2216

The Center for Student Mental Health and Well-being
Location: Administration Building, 3rd Floor
Call: 906-487-2538

Title IX Coordinator
Kirsti Arko, PhD
Location: Administration Building Room 306
Call: 906-487-3310

Dial Help, Inc.
Call: 906-482-4357 or toll-free 800-562-7622
Text: 906-356-3337
Instant Message: Dial Help

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
Call: 988
Instant Message: National Suicide Prevention Lifeline

Barbara Kettle Gundlach Shelter Home
Call: 906-337-5623 or toll-free 888-337-5623
Website: Barbara Kettle Gundlach Shelter

UP Health System-Portage
Emergency Department
500 Campus Drive
Hancock, MI 49930

Aspirus Keweenaw
Emergency Department
205 Osceola Street
Laurium, MI 49913


Downloadable Resources for Student-Athletes